Spaghetti Alla Chitarra, an egg pasta popular in the Abruzzo region in Italy, is finally working its way around the world.
Who doesn’t love a good plate of pasta? When it comes to Spaghetti Alla Chitarra, choosing the right one can make all the difference.
With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to know which one is the best.
But fear not, we’ve compiled a list of tips to help you choose the best Spaghetti Alla Chitarra to ensure a delicious and authentic Italian dining experience.
So get ready to take notes and elevate your pasta game!
Choosing The Best Spaghetti Alla Chitarra
When choosing the best Spaghetti Alla Chitarra you have to know certain points that are important to note before making the final decision of buying the pasta. These are simple yet effective ways to know which one of them is the finest.
Good to Know: The pasta was made using a rectangular wooden frame strung with metal wires (like a guitar hence “chitarra“). The sheet of pasta was pushed into it to form a strand.
The exquisite square-shaped form rather than round garners people to try the unique pasta. It goes well with any sauce and it comes up with better health benefits than some.
Tip 1: Explore Pasta Brands for a Wider Variety
The very first thing you have to do is to buy a few good brands of pasta that are available and look authentic. Try them one by one to know about their qualities. (Skip if you don’t have that much money)
Learning more about different kinds of pasta gives you an edge to decide which one is better based on experience.
Top Brands for Spaghetti Alla Chitarra
When it comes to spaghetti alla chitarra, there’s no shortage of options on the market.
However, not all brands are created equal, and the quality of the pasta can vary significantly depending on the manufacturer.
That’s why it’s important to choose a brand that is known for its exceptional quality and authenticity.
Here are some top-notch brands of spaghetti alla chitarra that are sure to delight your taste buds and satisfy your cravings for a delicious and authentic Italian meal.
- Rustichella d’Abruzzo – This brand is based in the Abruzzo region of Italy, where spaghetti alla chitarra originated. They are known for their high-quality pasta made with durum wheat semolina and traditional methods.
- La Molisana – This Italian brand has been producing pasta since 1912 and is known for its high-quality pasta made with durum wheat semolina. They offer several varieties of spaghetti alla chitarra, including whole wheat and organic options.
- De Cecco – Another well-known Italian pasta brand, De Cecco is known for its high-quality pasta made with durum wheat semolina and traditional methods. They offer several varieties of spaghetti alla chitarra, including a thicker version that is ideal for hearty sauces.
- Barilla – This Italian pasta brand is widely available in supermarkets and offers several varieties of spaghetti alla chitarra, including a whole grain option. While not as traditional as some of the other brands on this list, Barilla is still known for its quality pasta.
These are just a few of the many brands of spaghetti alla chitarra available on the market. When selecting a brand, be sure to consider the quality of the ingredients, the pasta shape and thickness, and any reviews or recommendations from others.
Tip 2: Check the Pasta Shape
Spaghetti alla chitarra is known for its square shape, which is achieved by pressing the pasta dough through the strings of the chitarra. However, not all spaghetti alla chitarra is created equal.
Some manufacturers may use a square-shaped die to cut the pasta, which results in a less authentic shape. Look for pasta that has a rough texture and square edges, which are signs of authentic spaghetti alla chitarra.
Tip 3: Consider the Thickness of the Pasta
The thickness of the spaghetti alla chitarra is an essential factor to consider when selecting the finest pasta. Thicker pasta will have a more robust texture and will hold up well when cooked. However, it can take longer to cook and may require more water to cook properly.
Thinner pasta will cook faster but may not hold up as well in hearty sauces. Consider your preference and the sauce you plan to use when selecting the thickness of the spaghetti alla chitarra.
Tip 4: Should it be Authentic Italian?
Well, for a legit experience, authenticity matters.
You can confirm this by checking the brand online and looking for the manufacturer’s contact details. Authentic brands are usually transparent and have nothing to hide.
If you find that the company has a strong online presence and clear contact details, then it’s likely that the brand is authentic.
Another way to verify authenticity is by asking friends in Italy to check the factory where the pasta was produced. This will give you peace of mind knowing that you’re getting the real deal.
In addition, you can ask friends in Italy to check the factory where it was produced.
Tip 5: Look for High-quality Ingredients
One tip for choosing the finest spaghetti alla chitarra is to look for high-quality ingredients. Good quality pasta is made with durum wheat semolina, which gives it a firm texture and a rich, nutty flavor. When selecting spaghetti alla chitarra, check the label to ensure that it’s made with durum wheat semolina.
It’s important to be mindful of the quality of ingredients in the pasta that you buy, as not all shops and online markets offer pasta that is healthy and made with natural ingredients.
However, there are some stores that prioritize offering products with healthy and natural ingredients, such as Sogno Toscano. This store is known for providing genuine and high-quality pasta products that are good for your health.
Also Read: 6 Amazing Health Benefits of Ginger for Men
Tip 6: To Dry or Not to Dry, That is the Question!
When it comes to Spaghetti Alla Chitarra, you have the power to choose between freshly hand-crafted pasta or dried pasta that is mass-produced. The decision you make can greatly impact the taste and texture of your dish, so choose wisely!
Tip 7: Check The Nutrients On Package
When choosing the best spaghetti alla chitarra, it’s important to pay attention to the nutritional information printed on the package. Checking the nutrition facts can help you determine whether the pasta is a healthy choice for you, especially if you’re concerned about your carb intake.
To ensure you’re using a pasta that is good for your health, look for brands that are enriched with vitamins and minerals. These nutrients not only provide additional health benefits but also enhance the flavor and texture of the pasta.
In summary, when selecting spaghetti alla chitarra, be sure to check the nutritional information on the package and choose a brand that is enriched with vitamins and minerals. By doing so, you’ll be able to enjoy a healthy and delicious meal that is both satisfying and nutritious.
Tip 8: Texture is Also Vital to Check
When it comes to choosing the best spaghetti alla chitarra, texture is also an important factor to consider. Many people believe that pasta with a rough texture is ideal because it allows the sauce to cling to the pasta more easily.
The texture of spaghetti alla chitarra is unique in that it is thick and firm, providing a satisfying bite that holds up well to any sauce or meat. The rough texture of the pasta also helps to absorb the sauce, ensuring that each bite is packed with flavor.
Ultimately, when selecting spaghetti alla chitarra, pay attention to its texture. Look for pasta that is thick and rough, as this will provide the perfect base for your sauce and meat. By doing so, you’ll be able to create a delicious and satisfying meal that is sure to please everyone at the table.
Tip 9: Don’t Overlook the Shelf-life
When it comes to choosing the best spaghetti alla chitarra, one often overlooked factor is its shelf-life. But why does this matter?
Well, if you’re planning to cook your pasta right away, fresh pasta is the way to go as it provides a soft and delicate texture that is perfect for light sauces. However, if you’re not going to use it immediately, you’ll want to look for a pasta that can be stored for longer periods, like dried pasta.
But don’t just settle for any dried pasta on the shelf! Be sure to look for a brand that uses high-quality ingredients and has a long shelf-life. This will ensure that your pasta remains fresh and delicious, even if you don’t use it right away.
So, the next time you’re shopping for spaghetti alla chitarra, remember to consider its shelf-life. Whether you opt for fresh or dried pasta, choosing a high-quality brand will ensure that your meal is both convenient and full of flavor.
Tip 10: Consider your Cooking Method
Did you know that how you cook your Spaghetti Alla Chitarra can make a big difference in the final dish? While boiling is the most common method, other cooking styles like baking or frying can also be used. However, it’s important to keep in mind that some methods may not work well with this particular pasta.
For example, baking Spaghetti Alla Chitarra can sometimes lead to an overcooked or dry texture, which can ruin the overall impression of the dish. On the other hand, boiling it until al dente can give it the perfect texture to soak up any sauce you pair it with. Consider the cooking method when choosing Spaghetti Alla Chitarra.
Tip 11: Consider if Saucy or Not
While Spaghetti Alla Chitarra can be delicious with just a simple butter and oil dressing or none at all, why not spice things up and experiment with different sauce options?
Adding other ingredients to the mix can elevate the flavors and textures of the dish, making it a true pasta masterpiece! If you are planning to getting saucy, consider “Choosing the Right Sauce“.
Tip 12: Consider Adding Meat
Spaghetti alla chitarra is a type of pasta that is traditionally made from durum wheat flour and water. This gives it a firm and hearty texture that holds up well to the bold flavors of meat.
When paired with meat, such as ground beef or pork, sliced sausage, or meatballs, spaghetti alla chitarra creates a delicious and satisfying meal.
The meat adds a rich and savory flavor to the dish, which is complemented by the texture of the pasta. The thickness of the spaghetti alla chitarra allows it to hold up well to the sauce, ensuring that each bite is full of flavor and texture.
This combination of pasta and meat is a classic in Italian cuisine and is enjoyed by many around the world.
Tip 13: Choose the Right Sauce
Spaghetti alla chitarra is a versatile pasta that pairs well with a variety of sauces. However, some sauces are better suited for this pasta than others.
Tomato-based sauces, such as marinara and arrabbiata, are excellent choices for spaghetti alla chitarra because they cling to the pasta’s square shape.
Creamy sauces, such as Alfredo, are less suitable for this pasta because they may slide off the square noodles. Consider the sauce you plan to use when selecting the spaghetti alla chitarra.
Here are some of the most popular and recommended sauces for spaghetti alla chitarra:
- Bolognese sauce – This meat-based sauce is a classic pairing for spaghetti alla chitarra. Made with ground beef or pork, tomatoes, and other flavorful ingredients, it has a rich and savory taste that complements the texture of the pasta.
- Arrabbiata sauce – A spicy tomato sauce that is made with garlic, chili peppers, and other seasonings, arrabbiata sauce adds a kick of heat to spaghetti alla chitarra. The bold flavor of the sauce pairs well with the hearty texture of the pasta.
- Carbonara sauce – This creamy sauce is made with eggs, cheese, and pancetta or bacon, and has a rich and savory flavor that pairs well with the thickness of spaghetti alla chitarra.
- Pesto sauce – A classic Italian sauce made with basil, pine nuts, garlic, and olive oil, pesto sauce adds a fresh and herbaceous flavor to spaghetti alla chitarra. Its light and vibrant flavor is a great choice for those who prefer a lighter sauce.
- Amatriciana sauce – This sauce is made with tomatoes, pancetta or bacon, and onions, and has a slightly sweet and tangy taste that complements the texture of the pasta.
These are just a few examples of the many sauces that pair well with spaghetti alla chitarra. Ultimately, the best sauce for you will depend on your personal taste preferences and the ingredients that you have available.
If you’re looking for another option for a sauce to pair with Spaghetti Alla Chitarra, Sprezza Pomodoro Sauce is worth considering. Its tomato-based flavor is versatile and can work well with both lighter and richer sauces.
Ultimately, the choice of which sauce to use is a matter of personal preference, but Sprezza Pomodoro Sauce is certainly an option to keep in mind.
Classic Spaghetti Alla Chitarra Recipe
Thanks for sticking with us so far! As a token of our appreciation, we’re excited to share this classic Spaghetti Alla Chitarra recipe that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.
If you’re looking for a delicious and authentic Italian pasta dish, then Spaghetti Alla Chitarra is a recipe you won’t want to miss.
This dish hails from the Abruzzo region of Italy and features a unique square-shaped spaghetti that is made using a special tool called a chitarra. The pasta is then paired with a savory tomato-based sauce, infused with garlic, red pepper flakes, fresh basil, and grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
The result is a mouthwatering and satisfying pasta dish that’s perfect for any occasion. So roll up your sleeves, grab your ingredients, and let’s get cooking!
- 1 pound spaghetti alla chitarra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- First, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. You want to use enough water so that the pasta has room to cook without sticking together. Once the water is boiling, add the spaghetti alla chitarra to the pot and cook it for 8-10 minutes or until it’s al dente, which means it’s cooked but still slightly firm to the bite. When the pasta is done, drain it in a colander, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes to the skillet and cook them for about 1-2 minutes or until they become fragrant. Be careful not to burn the garlic, as it can become bitter if it’s cooked too long.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes to the skillet, along with the salt and black pepper. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened slightly. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the sauce to become more flavorful.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the cooked spaghetti alla chitarra to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Use tongs to toss the pasta with the sauce until it’s well coated. If the sauce seems too thick, you can use some of the reserved pasta water to loosen it up.
- Add the chopped fresh basil and grated Pecorino Romano cheese to the skillet with the pasta and sauce. Toss everything together until it’s well combined. The basil will add a fresh and vibrant flavor to the dish, while the Pecorino Romano cheese will add a salty and nutty flavor.
- Finally, serve the Spaghetti Alla Chitarra hot, with additional grated Pecorino Romano cheese on top if desired. Enjoy your delicious and flavorful pasta dish!
And there you have it, a delicious and authentic Spaghetti Alla Chitarra recipe that’s sure to impress. From the homemade pasta to the flavorful sauce, every bite is a taste of Italy.
This dish is perfect for a cozy night in, a dinner party with friends, or any time you’re craving a hearty and satisfying meal.
So next time you’re in the mood for some Italian cuisine, give this recipe a try and let your taste buds take a trip to Abruzzo. Buon Appetito!
In conclusion, selecting the best Spaghetti Alla Chitarra is not just about picking a random brand from the store shelf. It requires some knowledge of the pasta’s texture, nutritional value, cooking methods, and even authenticity.
By following the tips mentioned above, you can make an informed decision and choose the perfect Spaghetti Alla Chitarra that will satisfy your taste buds and make your Italian cuisine experience even more memorable.
So, go ahead and give these tips a try, and who knows, you might discover a new favorite pasta brand that will leave you wanting more!
Well, what do you think about the article?
Do you like what you have read about these “13 Useful Tips When Choosing The Finest Spaghetti Alla Chitarra“? If so, please comment down below. We would love to hear your thoughts about this.
I am Rebecca Hall, an enthusiast, and a passionate writer. I have been writing for 4 years in different niches across the internet. Currently, I am writing about Italian food and its pain points. I am a wanderer for new knowledge and I want to enlighten my readers with my work.